About Me

My photo
Indulging my interest in food and flavor, I love to write about cooking, gardening and life's bounty. My new book - "Discover Cooking with Lavender"- is now available

Thursday, April 01, 2010

Mom’s Stewed Rhubarb: Revisited

Rhubarb grew in my mother’s garden. In early spring, I remember my mother cutting the pink slender stalks and making stewed rhubarb. She served this to us at breakfast and sometimes as dessert after supper. I loved the sweet and sour contrast that comes with eating rhubarb. Sometimes, I would take a raw piece, dip it in sugar and suck on the fruit enjoying the taste.

After reading Molly Wizenberg’s recent blog post  “A lot of rhubarb”, I realized I’d been rhubarb-deprived for too long.  Since I don’t have a rhubarb patch, I had to settle for buying  local rhubarb at the grocery store.

My mother didn't’t use a recipe. Her stewed rhubarb was made by combining rhubarb (cut into 1 inch slices) with sugar, water and vanilla, and then cooking it on the stove top until it was soft and mushy.

Playing around with flavors, I decided to add lavender sugar and use Novelty Hill Chardonnay in place of the water. Lavender adds a slightly floral taste to the rhubarb. I combine the mixture in a dutch oven and cooked it in the oven for 30 minutes.

While the poached rhubarb was still slightly warm, I served myself a small bowl and time-traveled back to my childhood when rhubarb ruled!


1 comment:

http://foodconnections.blogspot.com said...

What a sweet memory. I love the simplicity of this. I can practically taste the sweet-tart tones.