About Me

My photo
Indulging my interest in food and flavor, I love to write about cooking, gardening and life's bounty. My new book - "Discover Cooking with Lavender"- is now available

Friday, January 30, 2009



Grilled Pear Crostini

Appetizers have always held a special place in my food memory bank. Many years ago, before eating green was in vogue, my mother grew her own vegetables, made most everything from scratch, and fed her family fresh, healthy foods. When her children were too hungry to wait for dinner, my mother created a platter of carrots, celery, cucumber and radishes. Then I did not know that this was an appetizer. Now while I still enjoy appetizers and I continue to look for healthy options, I also seek more complex flavors. Combining pears, lavender and goat cheese results in a pleasing flavor fusion. Serve this with a cold white wine such as pinot grigio.

Grilled Pear Crostini

2 red pears

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon culinary lavender buds, ground into powder

1 baguette, cut into 12 slices, each 1/4 inch thick



1. Peel and core pears
2. Slice into 1/4 inch thick rings
3. Rub with olive oil and lavender
4. Grill apple rings over medium heat. Turn once after apple is softened and has grill marks, about 4 minutes. Remove from grill and cut each ring in half.
5. Grill baguette slices, turning once until slightly toasted, about 1 minute.
6. Spread bread with goat cheese and top with apple slices.
7. Place crostini on a platter and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon chopped lavender.

Makes 12 crostini

No comments: